Sunday 22 August 2010

The Pond


The Pond, originally uploaded by Pipsissiwa.

Complete! The transplanted froglets, newtlets, larva and diving beetle are all doing great.

Many of the larva have hatched into beautiful mayflies; I even got to watch one emerge which was amazing.

The newts and froglets are loving hiding in the plants - there were none at all in their old (now removed) pond.


I've planted yellow flag iris, some dwarf reeds, corkscrew reed, frogbit, water soldiers, water hyacinths, water mint and more. Not all native, but they mostly are. My options at the local water garden shop were limited, and I needed oxygenating plants and surface cover asap for the amphibians. There is a lot of the single celled algae in the pond atm, so I need to try barley straw to reduce it. Once the pond finds a balance properly and the surface cover plants shade much of the water, the algae will be mostly self controlling.

No comments:

Post a Comment