Wednesday 25 August 2010

Garden Slug (Arion ater)


Garden Slug (Arion ater), originally uploaded by Pipsissiwa.

In the north of the UK, this slug is predominately black, whereas here in the south is is predominantly yellow. It has a distinctive black and orange striped skirt and can get very large indeed. This individual was over 15cm long when at full stretch.

A couple of these big ones have drowned in the pond recently, so I steered this guy away as he seemed to be heading for the same fate. I guess they can't get to the beach area or onto the plants in time.

I've learned to grow things that can survive a slug and snail onslaught, or that they dislike eating, as I figure they have every right to be in my garden. They may repulse some people, but to me they are beautiful and wonderfully simple yet successful animals. Hopefully the pond will attract plenty of things to eat them and so control their numbers naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment