Monday 23 August 2010

7 Spot Ladybird (Coccinella 7-punctata)

I have an Artemisia that suffers from an annual invasion of cool black and grey aphids who sway in unison when disturbed. There are hundreds of them but amazingly the plant doesn't seem to be detrimentally affected. I can always be sure to find ladybirds on it, enjoying the banquet. This lovely 7-Spot was the latest visitor. Happily, I have seen plenty of native ladybird species this year and very few of the large invading Harlequins, unlike last year when the opposite was true.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures from your Olympus. I have a Canon 500D + 105mm Macro and wish mine were this good. The garden spider set are brilliant. Thanks, Les.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are beautiful. I have not seen little things portrayed in quite such an inspiring way. Keep snapping!

    ReplyDelete