Wednesday 22 June 2011

Hummingbird Hawk Moth (Macroglossum stellatarum)

I popped into the garden to put some kitchen waste in the compost bin and suddenly saw this amazing moth enjoying the Valerian flowers. After gasping out loud with surprise, I rushed back in to grab the camera (twisting my ankle in my excitement) and managed to snap these two shots before it flew away.


These are from being my best photos, but a first for both the garden and myself - I've always wanted to see one and never have, till now. It was amazing to watch - they are bigger than the worlds smallest actual hummingbird species. A large day-flying moth, it behaved just like a hummingbird too, which may seem obvious given the common name but I genuinely didn't expect it to resemble one quite so closely. It hovered perfectly to drink with its huge long tongue and darted rapidly from bloom to bloom.

One of the highlights of the garden so far this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment