Monday 11 October 2010

Smooth Newt (Triturus vulgaris) Eft


The newt tadpoles have lost their gills and left the relative safety of the pond now. I keep finding these tiny, perfect mini-newts striding purposefully around the garden.

They are still only about an inch long and are called 'efts', although personally I think 'newtlets' is way cuter and suits them better. It will be at least 3 years before they are old enough and big enough to breed.

I worry a little that I'm going to accidentally hurt one while gardening as they hide under plants and in the bark chipping I use as a mulch. I'm learning to look carefully! They have also traversed the lawn path to reach the bed on the other side, so there is the additional worry of stepping on one hidden in the grass. I'm going to install some stepping stones on the path so I can see where (and on whom) I'm standing.

I've provided as many hiding places for them, and the froglets, as possible around the garden, from the log-pile full of leaf litter next to the pond to old terracotta pot halves full of damp dead leaves. Hopefully they will survive and thrive :)

I look forward to watching them grow big and strong, and seeing them return and breed in my pond in a few years time.

1 comment:

  1. Мне нравятся, симпатичные и полезные животные!

    ReplyDelete